Summary • Outline • Study Questions • Flashcards • Quiz
"Effective strategy also demands constant management, reassessment, and adaptation largely because war is interactive – the enemy gets a vote." – Andrew Wilson
You can have solid coordinates, the right channels, stellar content, great connections and an impressive corrections plan, but the strategy may still fail unless they all sync up with one another. This chapter presents three “tests” to ensure that they harmonize with one another to create an effective social media strategy.
To pass the Coordinate Test, the social media manager must answer “yes” to the following:
- Do our selected channels sync with our coordinates?
- Do our content choices sync with our coordinates?
- Do our connection choices sync with our coordinates?
- Does our correction plan sync with our coordinates?
To proceed, there are Synergy Test questions to address:
- Are our channels aligned with our message (content) choices?
- Are our channels aligned with our connection decisions?
- Are our channels aligned with our correction plan?
- Are our message choices aligned with our connection decisions?
- Are our message choices aligned with our correction plan?
- Are our connection decisions aligned with our correction plan?
After all the above questions can be answered “yes,” the Translation Test follows, which directs attention to the translation of the strategy into action plans. At this point, you are ready to specify what needs to be done, who will do it, and when it will be done.
- Test 1: The Coordinate Test (note: the following questions apply to a specific example)
- Will the selected channels increase your target audience’s attendance at your event?
- Will your content choices increase your target audience’s attendance at your event?
- Will your connection choices increase your target audience’s attendance at your event?
- Will your correction plan increase your target audience’s attendance at your event?
- Test 2: The Synergy Test
- Are the channels aligned with your message choices?
- Are the channels aligned with your connection decisions?
- Are the channels aligned with your correction plan?
- Are the message choices aligned with your connection decisions?
- Are the message choices aligned with your correction decisions?
- Are the connection decisions aligned with our correction plan?
- Test 3: The Translation Test
- Test-Taking Advice
- Don’t assume that because you passed test 1 that you will ace test 2
- Solicit the opinions and insights of others
- Expect imperfections
Chapter Deep Dive Study Questions
These exercises are designed to enhance your understanding of the chapter’s key ideas, principles and approaches.
Rank order the three tests outlined in this chapter based on difficulty. Provide your rationale.
Find three examples of social media decisions that pass one coordinate test but fail another one. Provide your rationale.
One of the challenges in constructing a social media strategy is distinguishing between strategies and tactics. Create a series of 5 tests that can be used to make the distinction. These may take the form of “We’ve created a tactic when…” Provide your rationale for the tests.
[a] A check to determine if your strategic goals are aligned with you channel choices, content selections, connection decisions and correction plan.
[q] Synergy Test
[a] A check to determine if your channel choices, content selections, connection decisions and correction plan are aligned with one another.
[q] Translation Test
[a] A check to determine if your strategy has been effectively transformed into action plans and tactics.
0 of 10 questions completed
Take the Chapter 11 Quiz now!
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 10
Effective social media strategy demands regular management, reassessment, and adaptation because the social media universe is ever changing.Correct
Question 2 of 10
Which of the following is not a major piece of the coordinate test?Correct
Question 3 of 10
The synergy tests are primarily about whether the different strategy elements reinforce one another.Correct
Question 4 of 10
The question, “Do we have protocols in place to shift our platform strategy as the platform evolves?” needs to be answered if you want to confidently respond to which of the following tests?Correct
Question 5 of 10
A social media specialist who used Facebook to reach out to an audience that rarely used Facebook would have failed what test?Correct
Question 6 of 10
“Friendly spies” help social media managers pass which of the following tests?Correct
Question 7 of 10
If your strategy passes the coordinate test, it should easily pass the synergy test.Correct
Question 8 of 10
It’s unreasonable to expect your social media strategy to pass all the specific 5 C tests with “flying colors.”Correct
Question 9 of 10
Metrics provide the definitive and determinative answers to all the synergy questions.Correct
Question 10 of 10
Good social media strategies should augment the business strategy.Correct