Summary • Outline • Study Questions • Flashcards • Quiz
What qualities and orientation does a social media strategist need to be truly successful? This chapter presents the Social Media Aspirational Triangle, which highlights how strategists think, what sensibilities they develop, and what degree of energy they possess.
More specifically, to be positioned for sustained excellence, a strategist:
- Has a strategic mindset – for example by making the right tradeoff and cultivate synergies
- Develops professional sensibilities – for example by cultivating collaborative, respectful relationship with others
- Has an enthusiastic zeal – for example by devouring the latest news and trends in the field
- Strategic Mindset
- Strategists are always grounded by the current reality even as they envision the next steps forward
- Strategists focus on making the right tradeoffs
- Strategists cultivate synergies
- Professional Sensibilities
- Professionals are committed to a core set of values and related ethical standards
- Professionals cultivate collaborative, respectful relationships with others in their organization
- Professionals exercise good judgment
- Enthusiasts’ Zeal
- Enthusiasts have fun, within limits
- Enthusiasts devour the latest news and trends in their field
- Enthusiasts experiment
Chapter Deep Dive Study Questions
These exercises are designed to enhance your understanding of the chapter’s key ideas, principles and approaches.
Rank order the three elements of the Social Media Aspirational Triangle in terms of difficulty to achieve and maintain. Provide your rationale.
Using your own social media network, identify three people or organizations that appear to not properly balance the three corners of the Social Media Aspirational Triangle. Provide your evidence.
Create a list of 10 daily or weekly habits that social media managers could use to cultivate a healthy balance between all three elements of the Social Media Aspirational Triangle.
[q] Organic Growth
[a] Using internal resources to naturally boost social media performance, such as reaching out to already established friends.
[q] Social Media Aspirational Triangle
[a] Highlights three qualities that can position a social media strategist for success and sustained excellence: a strategic mindset, professional sensibilities, and enthusiastic zeal.
[a] Describes how the strategic elements strengthen and enrich one another.
0 of 10 questions completed
Take the Chapter 15 Quiz now!
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 10
Which of the following is not part of the Social Media Aspirational Triangle?Correct
Question 2 of 10
Social media strategists uniformly agree on a professional code of conduct.Correct
Question 3 of 10
People with good judgment always react quickly.Correct
Question 4 of 10
A comment such as, “We should get approval from everyone before we post something,” would indicate a hesitancy or an inability to make tradeoffs.Correct
Question 5 of 10
Applying the THINK acronym before posting would be a safeguard to help ensure that confidential information is not disclosed and that the material posted represents the values of the organization.Correct
Question 6 of 10
A person who prefers working in a relatively certain environment with routine tasks would be a likely candidate for a position as a social media strategist.Correct
Question 7 of 10
Good social media strategists focus on making the right tradeoffs.Correct
Question 8 of 10
A good social media strategist would agree with the statement, “We should have a robust presence on all the social media platforms.”Correct
Question 9 of 10
Skillful strategists tolerate task silos for efficiency sake but they remain skeptical of their value.Correct
Question 10 of 10
Good strategy is not just what you are trying to do; it is also about why and how you are doing it.Correct